Coronavirus


1/32 Nationals Postponed

The most recent trends in Covid outbreaks, and government announcements and area restrictions, are all emphasising the importance of social distancing, and the avoidance of unnecessary travel. Your BSCRA Council have decided that as a responsible organisation, we must support the government intent, and postpone the 2020 Nationals once again – at least until next Easter.  

We do this with regret, and apologise to all those who have made preparations to travel to and stay at Corby next month. However, I’m sure you will all agree that we have reached the stage where we cannot be promoting something which encourages a large number of people to travel significant distances, and congregate together.


Mark Witham

BSCRA Chairman

15 October 2020


------------------------------------------------

Slot Racing and Covid

More clarification posted on the BSCRA Members Facebook Group.


Mark Witham

BSCRA Chairman

1 October 2020


Slot Racing and the latest Government rules

There is uncertainty about how the "rule of six" applies to slot racing. BSCRA is seeking guidance direct from the appropriate Government department. Once BSCRA has clarification it will be posted on the BSCRA Members Facebook Group.


Chris Frost

24 September 2020


The latest information of frequently asked questions such as whether Slot Car Racing can continue in the current Covid guidelines, how many people can participate and what safety measures should be employed is available for members on the BSCRA Members Facebook Group.


Mark Witham

BSCRA Chairman

16 September 2020


---------------- 6 September 2020-----------------


1/32nd Nationals 2020.

Thanks to all those  who have shared their thoughts and opinions (either directly or through their area representative). From these, the preference is for a 3 day event beginning on Sat 21st November, running our normal 3 classes (1 on each day), and no Team Race. That then is what we will plan for, though please bear in mind that we  will continue to be guided by government advice and local restrictions. It is  thus feasible that we may still have to cancel the event (possibly at the last  minute), so please take that into account when making a hotel booking that doesn't offer a full refund in the case of cancellation.


Mark Witham

BSCRA Chairman

6 September 2020


----------------- 29 July 2020-----------------


A quick update, just to keep current information flowing.


So far, around 25 people have expressed an interest in running at some format of the Nationals later this year. I think it is therefore worthwhile considering some tentative options.


So far, no one has indicated a strong preference for a 2 weekend meeting, and several are strongly against – so I suggest we ‘knock that option on the head’ now.


Those who have expressed a timing option, have tended towards the end of November, and so I’d suggest either the weekend beginning 21st or 28th November.


Then the decision narrows down to a 2 day or 3 day meeting. So far we have a very slight preference for a 3 day event, though there are a couple of ‘strongly against’. No one has made a strong reference to include the Team Race or not.


We'll be asking our Cordinators to contact the members in their areas, in order to 'firm up' on some of the options, and will continue feedback to the membership.


Mark Witham

BSCRA Chairman

29 July 2020


After consulting the membership, the BSCRA Council has decided the Club Team Championship (team race) will not be held in September.


Chris Frost

BSCRA Chairman
29 July 2020



----------------- 17 July 2020-----------------

After carefully considering the COVID 19 situation and it’s current trend, BSCRA Council have regretfully decided that we cannot organise any National races in the near future.


We are therefore, announcing that the 1/24th Internats will not take place in 2020, nor will the Production Challenge for Super Production or F2.


We are still hopeful that we may be able to hold the 1/32nd Nats and the Club Team Championship (team race) toward the end of the year, and we will be consulting the membership for their views on that, over the weekend via the Members only Facebook group.


Mark Witham

BSCRA Chairman

17 July 2020

----------------- 20 May 2020-----------------

I can now confirm that the 1/32nd Nationals cannot take place before the August Bank Holiday weekend, and unless there are miraculous advances in vaccines and testing, October / November is the earliest we can realistically hope for.


Mark Witham

BSCRA Chairman

20 May 2020

----------------- 8 April 2020-----------------


The BSCRA Council are now confirming its earlier statement, that the 1/32 Nationals due to be held in May will be postponed.


Even if government restrictions on the social distancing are relaxed (which itself seems unlikely) there are a number of our members who cannot risk the infection, and so we have decided that we cannot go ahead with the event on the original May dates.


As we previously stated, the 1/32nd Nationals is our premier event of the year, and it will be our priority to fit this in before the end of 2020 if at all possible.


In the meantime, please follow the governments advice in regard to social distancing wherever possible, and help us control and overcome this pandemic. Our thoughts remain with those who have family and friends affected by the virus, so please stay safe and we look forward to meeting up again soon.


Mark Witham

BSCRA Chairman

8 April 2020


----------------- 2 April 2020 -----------------------



Now that we’re already into April, it’s looking as though the chances of holding the 1/32nd Nats on 8th-10th May are just about zero. However, as it is unlikely that anyone is planning any other activities for those dates at the moment, there is no real need to take a final decision on postponing the event just yet. We may get a further clarification from the Government about social meetings which will be definitive, or failing that we’ll make a decision in 2 to 3 weeks time.


The 1/32nd Nats are the most important event in BSCRA’s calendar, with a legacy stretching back 55 years, so we will do everything we can to re-schedule it later in the year. To that end, we will obviously be prepared to replace any other event in the calendar, and will start discussing date options as soon as we have a clearer picture of how the social distancing restrictions are likely to change.


I know that a number of our friends have either had or are affected by the Coronavirus, and I know that they are in our thoughts, and we wish them all a speedy recovery.


In the meantime, keep working on those projects sat on the ‘back burner’, and if any of those with technical knowledge and expertise fancy writing an article for us, this is a great time to do it. I’m currently talking with Kev and Chris F to get a Members Only website up and running, and new articles from you would be a great way to get it started.


Meantime, stay safe, and I hope to see you all again, when it is once more safe to travel and meet.


Mark Witham

BSCRA Chairman

2 April 2020


----------------- 17 March 2020 -----------------------


Most of you will have seen yesterday’s government announcement about the coronavirus crisis.  


This weekend’s BOC meeting needed the most urgent action, and the cancellation/postponement of the Leicester meeting was announced earlier today.    


It seems inevitable there will have to be further postponements / cancellations for as long as the current level of government  restrictions are in force.  Obviously we don't know how long restrictions might be in place.  The BSCRA Council is discussing contingency plans for various different lengths of shut down.    If we cannot run the 1/32 Nats on the scheduled May date, running it at a later date in 2020 is BSCRA's top priority even if that means it replaces another scheduled meeting.


Mark Witham, BSCRA Chairman
Chris Frost,  BSCRA Secretary,
17 March 2020


----------------- 13 March 2020 -----------------------


Like everyone, the BSCRA council has been busily gathering as much information as possible about the impact of the coronavirus (COVID -19).


Most of you will have seen yesterday's government announcement about coronavirus.  The latest measures do not restrict slot racing meetings, or indeed much larger sporting events.    However it is uncertain what measures  the government will deem necessary in the future  or over what period  they will be in place.

At present the meetings on our calendar are going ahead and you should continue to enter for the 1/32 nationals as normal.  The BSCRA council is monitoring the situation and will post updates as necessary.  I'm sure everybody is hoping for the minimum of disruption, but if changes are needed our preference is to postpone rather than cancel major meetings.    In the meantime it's suggested we all follow official advice, such as the NHS web site .



Mark Witham, BSCRA Chairman
Chris Frost,  BSCRA Secretary,
13 March 2020


Copyright ©   2020  British Slot Car Racing Association   All Rights Reserved


Minutes of Meetings and Decisions